Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t 0651-7HU Atom N455 10.1-Inch Tablet Netbook Review
Lenovo has refreshed its Ideapad S10-3t series of tablet netbooks with the latest intel Atom N455 processor. The Atom N455 chip is equipped with DDR3 capable memory controllers and this will improve system performance due to a faster data transfer between the CPU and memory.
The Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t 0651-7HU Tablet Netbook features a 10.1 inch multi-touch display. You can use its full-sized keyboard for inputting data or you can fold the screen down flat and use it as a hand-held tablet. The Ideapad weighs in at just 2.8 pounds so it is lightweight and easily portable.
There is no significant changes in the specification of the Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t 0651-7HU and it largely resembles the earlier Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t models. Read the full review of Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t.
Unlike the previous models the Ideapad now comes with Windows 7 Home Premium edition. This edition of Windows 7 supports multi-touch features and allows you to use the machine as a tablet.
Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t 0651-7HU Key Features
- Touch tablet with 180 degree screen rotation
- Ultra-slim design – just over an inch thin, and only 2.76lbs
- Integrated high-speed Wi-Fi
- Lenovo NaturalTouch Panel – responsive fingertip touch screen technology
- Stereo speakers with Dolby Headphone surround sound
- Active Protection System protects hard disk drive from shocks
- Integrated 1.3M web camera
Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t 0651-7HU Specification
- Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
- Display : 10.1 inch Wide SVGA HD multitouch 1024×600 LED display
- Processor : Intel Atom N455 1.66GHz
- Chipset : Mobile Intel NM10 Express chipset
- Graphics : Intel GMA 3150 integrated graphics
- Memory: 1GB DDR3 RAM (easily self upgrade RAM to 2GB)
- Storage : 250GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- Wireless Data Network: Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
- Bluetooth : 2.1 + EDR
- Keyboard : Chiclet-style Keyboard
- Input/Output: Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45), VGA, 3 x USB 2.0 Ports
- Memory card reader: 6-in-1 Card Reader
- Web cam: 1.3MP
- Optical Drive : No Optical Drive (optional external optical drive can be connected via one of the USB ports)
- Battery: 4 cell for up to 4 hours of battery life
- Dimensions: 11.00″ x 6.90″ x 0.60″ – 1.10″
- Weight: 2.76 pounds
Upgrading Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t 0651-7HU Memory from 1GB to 2GBTake note of the following;
- The netbook comes with only 1 slot and it is populated by a 1GB memory module
- That means you have to remove the 1GB RAM module to insert the new 2GB RAM module
- Make sure you purchase the right memory module – a 204 pin DDR3 SODIMM notebook memory module
- Installing the memory is a snap. You just need a tiny Philips screwdriver to remove one screw from back cover. Once unscrewed slide the door towards the screw and lift up gently. Pop out the old, pop in the new, replace the cover and boot it back up (Follow the steps outlined in easily self upgrade RAM)
Color OptionsAvailable in black color only.
Software Included with Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t 0651-7HUIncluded in the S10-3t 0651-7HU are a suite of touch-specific apps from a launcher called NaturalTouch, including photo browser, media player and e-book/document reader. These are nicely designed for use specifically in tablet mode, with large icons and multitouch gestures such as pinch-to-zoom supported.
- DirectShare -lets you sync files between computers and USB drives on a network
- ReadyComm 5 is a networking utility that not only lets you connect to Wi-Fi hotspots, but has a Load Avg. feature, which can distribute data over several connections to
increase network speed
- VeriFace face recognition
- Maplife – based search engine powered by Bing; type in an address, and the application can show you food, lodging, and entertainment options around your location. You can also use the application to plot directions to a location
- Microsoft Office 2010 preloaded – Purchase of a Product Key required to activate to a full Office 2010 suite
- McAfee Internet Security Suite (trial version)
User ReviewsThere are very few user reviews online for the Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t 0651-7HU Tablet Netbook. We searched dozens of shopping sites and only found 20 customer reviews for this product. The good news is that out of these few reviews the average user rating was 4 stars.
There were a few things about the Ideapad that the reviewers did not like. The left and right mouse buttons built into the touchpad are poorly designed and it is difficult to click and drag anything. There is also a considerable amount of bloatware (unnecessary software) that will take some time to remove.
Another complaint was the standard battery configuration of the Lenovo 0651-7HU, the 4-cell battery did not achieve the battery life that Lenovo claimed and many opted for the 8-cell battery to extend use of the device.
There were also a number of things that people did like about the Ideapad 06517HU. It is a well-built machine. The capacity touchscreen is responsive. It boots up very fast with 1 GB of RAM and works even better if you upgrade to 2 GB – Lenovo included easy to follow instructions to remove the single 1GB stick and replace it with a single 2GB stick.
One reviewer claimed that the Lenovo Ideapad 0651-7HU Tablet Netbook is slow but another one described this netbook has a very fast machine. When there are only a few reviews and there is conflicting information it is often hard to make a good judgment but another reviewer says that the Ideapad 0651-7HU is pretty fast, just don’t expect to do heavy multitasking and don’t expect this netbook to be able to do everything that your desktop or laptop computer can do.
Many of the reviewers of the Lenovo Ideapad liked to compare it to the Apple iPad and some points were better and some points were not so good. One of the biggest pluses for the Lenovo was the Windows 7 Home Premium OS and full keyboard as compared to the touch screen keypad and Apple OS for the iPad. However, a big negative of the Lenovo Ideapad was the slow response of the touch screen and rotating of the screen from portrait to landscape compared to the Apple Ipad.
A great benefit of the Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t Tablet Netbook is that it is a netbook and tablet combined (top cover swivels and lays on top of keypad) and that makes it a bit bulkier than the iPad, but with all of the benefits of a netbook; 250GB hard drive (for applications and storage), card reader and USB port to plug in a portable CD/DVD player. It also comes with a 1.3 Megapixel Webcam which if you are comparing this to the iPad (no webcam ) it is a great plus. This feature will allow you to video chat from anywhere there is WiFi available.
The positives definitely outweighed the negatives and with the Windows 7 Home Premium OS they were thrilled that they were able to run all their standard applications and not have to run special APP’s like with the iPad.
Although there were not very many reviews online for the Lenovo Ideapad 0651-7HU Tablet Netbook the majority of the reviews that we did find were pretty good and we feel that the Ideapad 06517HU does deserve its 4 star rating.